Ok so these do not need to be for Christmas at all, but seeing as it’s that time of year, and these do contain lots of yummy Christmas spices, why not?!
If you like carrot cake, then you will enjoy these cookie sandwiches.
- 2 grated carrots (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or coconut syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter or ghee
- zest from 1 or 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup raisins/sultanas or any dried fruit really (last time I made these I used currants, this time I used soaked/replumped goji berries)
- 1 cup flour (for GF use buckwheat or brown rice flour – I’ve also used spelt which is not GF)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb/baking soda
- 1/2 cup shredded/desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp each ground nutmeg, ginger, & try a little clove, star anise, cardamom, even Chinese 5 spice (use what you have)
- 1 heaping tbsp cinnamon
- Mix the first 6 ingredients all together well (I added to thermomix minus the dried fruit).
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add back the dried fruit and mix through (if you haven’t already).
- Make approx 24 slightly flattened balls (it will be soft & will spread) evenly spaced on lined or greased oven trays, and pop into preheated 180°C/360°F oven for 15-20 min, swapping trays halfway through. Check they don’t burn – they will be soft. Let them cool for a bit before handling.
If you want to make them into sandwiches, cream cheese and DF options are…
For cream cheese filling, 250g full fat cream cheese, 180g unsalted butter, 100g coconut sugar, a good sprinkle of cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla or beans scraped from 1 pod. Blend all together until creamy & evenly distribute amongst biscuits. Put the cookie sandwiches in the fridge for the filling to solidify a bit.
For DF, try a thick coconut cream filling made with the cream from 2 or so cans of refrigerated coconut cream (use the liquid underneath for smoothies or something else), mixed with a little maple syrup, honey or coconut syrup, cinnamon & a dash of vanilla. Blend until creamy and distribute.
Recipe based on Joyous Health ‘s carrot cake cookie recipe, with my twists!
Tag me on Instagram @goodnessgracioushealth if you try them!